Wednesday 10 April 2013

Inspiration


Red Hill Market on Saturday was great. The beautiful, warm day drew a lot of people to the market. I was in a shady spot under a beautiful tree. The day just came alive with colours.

Colours inspire me. I also find inspiration in nature and today’s market spot seemed to combine the two. As I was contemplating this, a lady came to look at my work. She went around my stall, smiled and then suddenly turned around and said: “Because of you I will take up crochet again. I have not done it for 30 years!”

For a moment, I was speechless. Because of me? Omg, I actually inspired somebody! I love that feeling - I think this is the highest praise I ever got. I made a change in someone's life. I was so happy. For the rest of the day I thought about this lady, hoping that taking up crocheting again would mean to her what it meant to me.

I was in the rat race, in the vicious cycle of working 50-60 hours a week, constantly dealing with new problems which needed my attention “immediately”, "urgently" and "without delay"… I had forgotten how satisfying creating beautiful things was.

My job had made me unable to relax or to see colour around me. Designing and creating calms me. And it gives me great satisfaction and pride once I look at the finished product. Taking up crochet

again has truly changed my life! I love doing it and having a finished product at the end of it is even better!

I thought that is as good as it gets. However to hear that my work has touched and inspired someone else, to hear that they will allow creativity back into their life is extremely cool! Their life will be better for it. And that is as good as it gets!
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment